The Flint & Pere-Marquette Railroad was probably the most important single factor in the development of Clio's identity as a town.
By the early 1900s the Village of Clio, with a population of 800 industrious citizens, a new school, small industries, had a newspaper to keep everyone informed.
With the increasing popularity of the automobile and the decreasing popularity of the railroad, Clio changed from an important farming and commercial center to a residential community.
"And what made one generation great demands the others be grateful ---
I don't think that's too much to ask."
In 1860 there existed, on the Saginaw Trail approximately midway between the cities of Flint and Saginaw, a small booming community known as Pine Run. The inhabitants of this small village were unaware that within the following year they would give birth to a new town to be located one mile to the west, which would be known as Clio.
Pine forests occupied a large portion of this area, and hundreds of acres of the same valuable timber were standing in its immediate vicinity. The building of the railways was Clio's opportunity for establishing a new avenue of commerce. The railway would also help to fully develop and establish a strong little town. Clio was already an important trading and manufacturing point for the railways proposed route. Pine Run was passed over by Pere-Marquette Railroad because of some local Pine Run folks resistance. So instead, they chose the small village of Clio as their railway station. This now put Clio on the map.
Until the building and completion of the Flint and Pere-Marquette Railway in 1861, Clio's history was comparatively uneventful.
"Our history is a great story, but our future is a bright one as well."
This site is provided by the Clio Area Historical Association, Clio, Michigan 48420
Special thanks to Gil Davenport and Quality Pool Supply for creating our website.
The purpose for this site is to share the unique beginnings of our community with all those who are lovers of history. Much of the information was provided by Eben Reed and his personal research of Clio's past.
© Clio Area Historical Association | Clio Depot & Museum 2017 | Developed by OzyDesigns.com